“I got into trading in college. The first stock I purchased cost me $2.89/share; 10 months later it hit a high of $7.79/share. That’s a 170% appreciation per share. I worked for a couple of firms then decided to branch out on my own because I didn’t want to be assessed based on how much money I brought into the firm, I wanted to be graded on how much money I made for people. I enjoy conducting independent research, generating independent ideas, and monetizing those ideas in the markets. I also possess a passion for business. I like watching things become something out of thin air. I’ve experienced and continue to experience what it’s like to start a business. I’ve also experienced what its like to start fresh at investing or trading in Stocks, FX, Futures, etc. So, I created this site to re-experience these things with others”

                                                                                                                                           Lamarcus R. Coleman, MBA

Leave a comment

October 18, 2012 · 9:39 pm

Watching NZD/CAD Going Into Kiwi CPI, CAD Rate Decision & CPI

I’ll be watching how the NZD/CAD responds to this week’s event risk. KIiwi CPI is on tap Tuesday. The RBNZ has raised interest rates three times, more than any other major central bank. The RBNZ stated in its last policy statement that the Kiwi has yet to adjust to the decline in commodity prices but is expected to do so. The bank also stated that the Kiwi is not sustainable at current levels. Upward momentum has been slowing in the Kiwi versus other majors as of late.

The Bank of Canada will make its monetary policy decision on Wednesday and we will receive CPI figures on Friday. The Bank stated in its latest policy report that it continues to see strength in the country’s fundamental drivers. Its view is highly contingent upon continued growth in exports and investment. With the U.S. continuing to expand and on pace to end QE earlier than expected, the Loonie should benefit.

From a technical aspect, multiple Kiwi pairs (USD,JPY,CAD) are trading within rising wedges. Momentum is slowing in the Kiwi. In order to get the proper follow through, technicals must align with the fundamental drivers. I feel that NZD/CAD could possibly see the biggest move of the NZD/USD, NZD/JPY, and NZD/CAD this week based on this week’s event risk.





 If the Kiwi does rally, I would be looking to get short around the .96403 area in anticipation of failure at resistance and a breakout to the downside. My profit target would be in the .89607 area. The Kiwi could possibly pullback going into CAD event risk after CPI figures on Tuesday. One could wait for a break of the .93275 area to get short in anticipation of follow through to the downside. If the NZD/CAD doesn’t hold the .94252 area, I will be looking for a short entry. With an initial target at the break point of .93275 and my stop at the .94850 area. If this area holds I will cut half of my position and move my stop to break-even on the second half with the .89607 area in view. If we break the .93275 area, I’d be looking to hold and move my stop just above the .93275 area to eliminate my risk on the trade. Risk on this trade is 60 pips. Reward is 465 pips for a 7.8:1 reward to risk ratio.


Leave a comment

Filed under General

AAPL: Apple Should Pullback….Go Long on the Dip

Investors have had quite a ride in Apple (AAPL) since September of last year, at which time the stock began its massive decline from $703 to bottom out in the $385 area in April of this year. Apple later retested this area in late June, forming a double bottom pattern before rallying to this year’s highs. Apple appears to have completed the transition from a growth play to a value play. In prior years, Apple was sought after due to its continued innovation. Once the firm began maturing and new product innovation slowed, traders switched their bias and the stock became a value play.

Apple continues to look good fundamentally. The stock is trading at 14 times earnings. With a dividend of $12.20, at current levels, Apple has a yield of 2.20%, above its industry average. The company had no debt from 2009-2012 and even at its current leverage, the firm still has a debt/capital ratio of 12% which is well below the industry average. The firm’s quick ratio is also below the average of the industry indicating that the company will have no issue servicing its debt. Apple’s ROE and ROA 31% and 19% respectively, are both above the industry average. Net and Operating Margin also exceed that of its industry.

While Apple looks good fundamentally and as a long-term investment, the stock is just 3.5% off of its 52 week high. Apple, while leading the industry in revenue growth over the trailing twelve months, lagged the industry in revenue growth in its most recent quarter. EPS growth in the most recent quarter and trailing twelve months have also declined.

With the Fed likely to Taper within the coming months, this could present a key opportunity to scale into or add to an existing Apple position. I expect the Fed to Taper in December. However, March is the latest that most traders and economist expect Tapering to begin. Tapering, while beneficial to the broad economy, will result in a pullback in the equity market as traders price in the effect of less financial stimulus. After a significant correction, investors should begin to buy up stocks trading at advantageous multiples. I feel that Apple should be one these stocks.

I would look to begin scaling into Apple around the $495 area. Applying Elliot Wave Theory, Apple is currently ending the 3rd Wave. The stock experienced a Fibonacci retracement of 50% in the 2nd Wave which is not minor, but also not a typical retracement in the 2nd Wave. Applying the rule of alteration, I would expect Apple to pullback in the 4th Wave to somewhere within the $495-$510 area. This should be a good spot to begin scaling into a position.

AAPL Daily Chart

AAPL Daily Chart

(click to enlarge chart)

Based on the projected retracement, we can draw channel lines to determine the impending chart pattern set-up. Based on the chart below, it appears that Apple could form a rising wedge in the coming months which would indicate that the stock could fall below the $495 area to bottom out possibly near the $450 area. To confirm this pattern, the 5th Wave to the upside would have to fail to exceed the top of the 3rd Wave. If the stock trades to  the 38.2% Fib. retracement area in the 4th Wave and holds, I would reconsider my original target and begin scaling into a position at the $520 area with a profit target in the 5th Wave of $610.

AAPL Possible Rising Wedge Projection

AAPL Possible Rising Wedge Projection

If Apple does trade above the 3rd Wave, the chart pattern developed could be that of a flag which will signal a continuation higher. We can use Fibonacci tools to project our price target.

AAPL Possible Flag Projection

AAPL Possible Flag Projection

Taking the fundamental data and technical analysis into consideration, as well as the likelihood that the Fed will Taper in the coming months, I feel that Apple should sell off to the at least to the $510 area and later extend higher. One could play this trade in the options market by collaring a current position (collar=long put and short call) to hedge the short-term downside risk. The long put, out of the money, should be bought around the $540 area. I would then sell a call against it at the $595 area. Another strategy that one could use once the 4th Wave down was complete, to preserve capital, is to put on a synthetic long position, or sell a put and buy a call at the same strike price. With implied volatility exceeding historically volatility, options premiums will be higher on the Feb595Call which would generate a credit of about $12  Price would have to exceed the $595 level by Feb. expiry for you to lose your credit which I feel is unlikely. The market is pricing in a pullback which is why implied volatility on puts exceed that of historically volatility, thus elevating premiums. On the Collar’s long put at the $540 area, for Feb. expiry it cost about $22 for a net debit of $10 for the trade. If the stock falls to $510, the trade would profit $325 for a 3:1 risk/reward. If the stock falls to $495 by Feb expiry, you would have a $443 profit and a 4:1 risk/reward ratio.

As a risk management precaution, if the Apple breaks the 3rd wave high of $573, trading up from current levels, I would close the trade at a loss of about $125 and reassess the environment.

Leave a comment

Filed under Market Outlook

Market Wrap 12/17/13

Stocks open trading lower, giving back some of the gains from Monday. The US 10year is trading higher, with yields falling to 2.87%. The USD has strengthened overnight against the currencies of other major economies. German Bunds are higher as yields fall to 1.83%. U.K. yields are 2.8% while Japan’s 10 year gains sends yields to 66bps.

In Asian trading, stocks finished the day mixed with the ASX and Nikkei in the green and the Shanghai Composite and Hang Seng in the red. In Europe, stocks are down across the board even as German ZEW figures blew past expectations. The Stoxx is down 50bps, CAC -1%, DAX-40bps, & FTSE -50bps. Canada’s TSX is practically flat, just in the green 3bps.

Downward pressure in the EUR sends EUR/JPY and EUR/CHF lower. The markets appear to be trading with somewhat of a risk off sentiment as stocks fall, and the USD and Yen strengthen. Commodities are also down as we begin the first day of the FOMC meeting. WTI is slightly higher at 50bps, Brent Crude is down -55bps, Gold -50bps, Silver -60bps. Nat. Gas is also trading lower. The VIX is trading higher up 3% in early trading.

The Euro, Pound, Loonie, Kiwi, and Aussie all weakened in overnight trading while the USD/JPY is mostly flat. The Aussie is trading near a key support level of .8900. This is the same level in which we formed a double bottom back in August and September before we had 800+ pip rally into mid October. Since then, in November, we formed a head and shoulders pattern and broke below the neckline to arrive back at this key support level. On this trade, my short entry target was on a break beneath .92963 with a ultimate profit target of .8900 with a short term profit target of .9200 to test whether or not we would get a break at that level. Once we did, stops could have been tightened. If you followed suit, you picked up 400+ pips over the last month. If we break key support on the AUD/USD, the next key area of support will be the July 2011 bottom at .8200.

U.K. inflation also came in at 2.1% vs 2.2%. The US inflation rate came in at 1.2% vs 1.3%. Core inflation was inline posting 1.7%. The current account deficit in the US also narrowed.

Next Key Support is the July 2011 bottom of .8200

Next Key Support is the July 2011 bottom of .8200


Leave a comment

Filed under Market Outlook


In this video I illustrate how to properly design a trading plan.

Leave a comment

December 10, 2013 · 5:14 pm

A December Taper: EUR/USD Provides Clues

In this video, Lamarcus R Coleman recaps a prior video’s setup that profited over 154 pips and shows how the EUR/USD could be providing clues into a December Taper.

Leave a comment

December 8, 2013 · 5:36 pm


In this video Lamarcus R Coleman exposes the scam of get rich quick trading and pay for education prop firms. He also demonstrates how you should trade if you want to turn a small FX account into a larger account.

Leave a comment

November 26, 2013 · 6:31 pm

Retail Active vs Passive Investing

Leave a comment

November 23, 2013 · 6:39 pm

LIVE Trade: Helpful Nuggets for Building Trading Discipliine

In this video I subject myself to the same circumstances that most new traders face(i.e. limited capital, sleep deprivation, etc.) and do so with one of the most renown strategies traders use, event risk. There are a broad variety of ways to approach event risk trading. I only cover one approach here. The purpose of the video is to illustrate that even when things go wrong, as they often do, you can remain disciplined.

Leave a comment

November 13, 2013 · 10:49 am

Invest Regardless of the Fiscal Cliff

With the elections behind us, investors, as well as the rest of the world are now focused on the fiscal cliff. The expiration of the Bush tax cuts, and automatic cuts in government spending serve as the primary concern for the market. The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped in midday trade on last Wednesday by over 300 points as investors speculated what would happen in Congress by year end. This represented the lowest point on the Dow since August.

It’s inevitable that the global economy will be affected by the changes or lack there of in our fiscal policies. However, investors must focus on opportunities created by this debacle and not over emphasize the debacle itself in order to protect their portfolios. With the rapid decline in the major averages, multiple buying opportunities are and will continue to unfold as we near the possible fiscal cliff.

The market is driven by value and emotion. When the two begin to diverge greatly, opportunities are created. The response by the market has some emphasis on valuation, however, much emotion driven investing is also clouding true value. Moving forward, the most successful investors will be those that are able to quantify the divergance of value and emotion and identify the opportunities created.

Leave a comment

Filed under Investing